Thursday, March 10, 2011

The NIKKOR 20mm f/2.8 in Action

My daughter’s school was having a concert at a local mall today, where she played violin. Naturally my wife and I were there to take pictures, her with her new D3100, and me with my D90. Since she had everything covered with the mighty AF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 zoom, I decided to take along the AF NIKKOR 20mm f/2.8D.

It was a large space, and I was able to get the whole assembly in from different angles. I never felt constrained. If I needed to get a close up, and had to literally get into the space, which might be a problem. But because I was forced to get into the space, the lens put my right at the heart of the action. There was an intimacy that I wouldn’t have been able to achieve with a longer lens, and with a zoom I simply would have caved.

Autofocus was hit or miss, proof that it’s not the end-all, be-all solution. I would have been better off using the hyperfocal scale with manual focus. There was simply so much information, the camera did not know what to focus on. Experimenting with different focus modes will help me find the optimal mode for this lens, so that’s high on my list. The naked, on-board flash was fine for these distance shots, giving me a little extra range than I would have had with a diffuser. But when I did get up close, the distance information provided by this D-lens helped achieve perfect exposures.


No comments:

Post a Comment