Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Is There a Macro Lens in My Future?

So I guess it’s pretty clear by now that I’ve been consciously avoiding the purchase of a dedicated macro lens. I can’t help it; I’ve been having so much fun exploring all the ways I can get around it. It might even have something to do with the $500.00-$900.00 price tag.

The truth is, I already have one. It’s just not a Nikon. When I acquired my Minolta SRT-201, it came with a beat-up Vivitar standard zoom, and a Genuine ROKKOR-X 100mm f/3.5 macro lens in pristine condition. I’ve been wondering what to do with it. And I think I know what that is.

In addition to the Canon FD to Nikon F lens mount adapter, Fotodiox also offers a Minolta MD/MC to Nikon adapter. Would it not be worth $39.99 to have a dedicated 150mm f/3.5 macro lens?

With the 1.4x element removed, there would be no degradation in image quality. True, it would no longer function as a telephoto lens, and the reproduction ratio scale on the lens itself would be off, but it would certainly give this very useful lens a new purpose.


No comments:

Post a Comment