Friday, March 4, 2011

Review: Nikon AF-S DX NIKKOR 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR

When I purchased my first Nikon DX body, I elected to forego the kit lens and select my own. The criteria was simple; if this were the only lens I would ever buy, which one would I choose? So, I was looking for the best combination of quality, versatility, size and price, pretty much in that order. It came down to the 16-85mm zoom or the 18-200mm zoom. Because the 16-85 was optically superior, smaller, and cheaper, it ultimately won out.

This is my dream lens. My former was the Canon FD 35-105mm f3.5. Compared to that, this lens is wider, longer, smaller, faster (if you consider VR) and has autofocus. If like me you plan on purchasing a high-power zoom, it’s the ideal all-in-one lens.

Canon FD 35-105mm f/3.5 vs. Nikon 24-127mm f/3.5-5.6
To be fair, it’s longer that the Canon FD zoomed to 85mm, but in the camera bag, it takes up far less space. It might just be the only lens you’ll ever need.


Build Quality ★★★★
Not professional grade, but quite rugged. Solid feel with good heft. Chromed brass mount with gasket.

Compatibility ★★★
Being a G lens, it’s only compatible with electronic aperture control cameras. If you have a Nikon BR-6 and a locking shutter release cable, you can reverse it for macro work.

Focusing ★★★★
Fast, silent autofocus with manual override. Manual focus is typical of G lenses; you can feel the resistance of the gearing, so it’s not as smooth as a D lens such as the 20mm f/2.8. But it work well.

Optical Quality ★★★★★
Superb; Sharp, less barrel distortion than the 18-200mm.

Value ★★★
Not the least expensive option. You’re paying a premium for additional quality over a lens such as the 18-200mm, which is only slightly more expensive but could save the purchase of a separate lens.

Versatility ★★★★
From a super-wide 24mm to a mild telephoto, this is an ideal walk-around lens. If you don’t mind continuously-variable apertures, this lens makes a great macro when reversed.

Diaphragm
7 curved blades

Filters
Accepts 67mm filters with a plastic thread.

Hood
Comes with a reversible petal-shaped bayonet mount hood. Filters up to 72mm can be used with a step-up ring.

Included Accessories
Suede-like storage pouch with front pinch and rear lens caps.

Specifications
You can view Nikon’s Specifications for this lens by visiting their website.

Variable Aperture Range
Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6 35mm equivalent f-stop range
16mm 24mm f3.5-f22
24mm 36mm f/4.0-f/25
35mm 52.5mm f/4.5-f/29
50mm 75mm f/5.0-f/32
70mm 105mm f/5.6-f/36
85mm 127mm f5.6-f/36

Overall, I have to give this lens four stars, but my personal rating is five. I love this lens; it’s my all-time favorite of the G series lenses. It is, essentially, my “primary” lens. The quality is so good, that I don’t worry about not purchasing the 80-200mm; for non-critical work I simply crop the photo, enlarge it 236% and sharpen it slightly. For critical work, I reach for my 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6, purchased in part with the $150.00 savings from choosing the 16-85mm instead of the 18-200mm. But that’s a review for another day.



No comments:

Post a Comment