Thursday, February 9, 2012

New Arrival: Nikon D50 DSLR

I’ve been toying with the idea of purchasing a used Nikon DSLR to use as a dedicate IR shooter. While many cameras can be converted for IR, the D50 is one of the most popular, and was a logical choice for me. And today, I received mine from Amazon.


I came across it quite accidentally on Amazon’s used department, and since it was listed in like-new condition, complete with box, battery, charger, strap, manual and software, I couldn’t resist. The camera is very clean, with only minor signs of wear on the grip. Both LCD screens are flawless. An added bonus is that it shipped with a new BF-1B body cap. All in all, I’m very happy with the purchase.

KEH also had a LN- (like-new, minus) D50, but it was not a US model, and didn’t include the accessories. Since they were both about the same price, Amazon had the better deal.

This camera was part of a kit, and originally included the AF-S NIKKOR 18-55mm zoom. I’m kind of glad it didn’t come with the lens, as it might have prevented me from buying the newer VR version of this lens, which may be a possible candidate as an everyday knock-around lens.


1 comment:

  1. I know it doesn't get as wide, but I picked up a 28-80mm/f3.3-5.6 "G" spec lens for and everyday attachment. I've read quite a lot of great things on it's performance on DX cameras and you can't beat the price which is usually sub-$50 on eBay. It does a great job of matching up with the compact and lightweight D50, which will focus it, and as an alternative to my much heavier D300 rig.

    ReplyDelete