Wednesday, October 5, 2011

There’s a New Camera in My Future…

There’s a new camera in my future. 8 MP backside-illumination sensor, 5 element f/2.4 autofocus lens. 3.5", 614,400 pixel display display. Built-in flash. 1080i HD video with sound. Three-exposure HDR capture. 32GB on-board storage. Geotagging. All in a package measuring only 4.5" x 2.31" x .37".

Sadly, It doesn't have a viewfinder. But I can overlook that because it has some other cool features, like an MP3 music player, web browser, WiFi and 3G network capability. A calculator. It even has a mobile phone.

I’m talking of course about the new iPhone 4s. I’ve been holding out for far too long waiting for the iPhone to join the Verizon network. Then, I waited for it to come to the 4G network. When the last new iPod Touch came out, I might have bought one had it not been for its pitiful excuse for a camera.

Apple’s new iPhone 4S. Updated, but not overdone.

But since the 4G network didn’t turn out to be the Holy Grail everyone thought it would be, and they’ve improved the iPhone without messing with its superior industrial design, it’s time. We won’t see the 4G network-compatible iPhone 5 until the summer of 2012, and it’s likely to be a complete redesign. The industrial design of the Four’s scratchproof mineral crystal front and back are perfect for me.

My iPod Touch has served me well, as has my now antique Motorola V.90 flip phone, which incidentally still performs magnificently. But the iPhone opens up new horizons. Not only may it prove to be a competent everyday camera, it will also serve as an enormous photographic tool.

I can’t wait to become another Joel Gray, snapping off photos with my phone, joining the ranks of arms-length photographers worldwide. Maybe it will give me some insight into this iconic way of taking photos.

Will it unseat my other cameras? No. I liken it to a folding bike. It’s not exactly a real bike. But it gets you where you need to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment