Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Strobism

For the past couple of weeks, I’ve been following strobist.blogspot.com and getting a feel for flash. I’m still working out my flash strategy, and it will likely be based on the Strobist concept. So far, I’m fully in sync with David Hobby’s preachings. Travel light, and work with what you’ve got. So I’m approaching flash cautiously, since again I need to purchase all new equipment. Well, almost

Eventually I’ll be needing two or three light stands, and I’m happy to find that in my original stash I have a nine-foot Smith-Victor stand, and two Manfrotto umbrella adapters with hot-shoe adapters. So, I’ve got a little bit of a head start.

With ten sheets of black coraplast in hand, I’ll be building a few grids, snoots and flags.

Then there’s the flash purchases themselves. I’m pretty much set on the Nikon SB900, since it will work not only as an excellent iTTL flash, but also as an off-camera flash. The very affordable SB600 would be my second flash, due to its compatibility with a wide range of Nikon cameras, including the N80. It has both i-TTL and D-TTL, plus TTL Auto and manual.) For a second backup/third flash I’m considering the Vivitar 285HV, and for Macro work the Sigma-EM 140 DG Macro Ring Flash.

For times when I absolutely, positively have to use flash on-camera, the Custom Brackets CB Junior rotating bracket wins hands down.


No comments:

Post a Comment