Sunday, January 24, 2010

My First Nikon SLR

So, I got to thinking. Now that I’m fully on board with digital, am I going to abandon film photography? And the answer is, no, not by any means. But, I’m going to wind up with all these great Nikon lenses, not all of which are going to be DX lenses. It’s quite possible that somewhere in the distant future I’m going to buy a full-frame (FX) Nikon body, so, I’m not going to put my eggs all in one basket. I chose the DX format for its compact size, speed, compatibility, and economy. DX lenses use less glass and are therefore lighter, smaller, and less expensive. The camera body is slightly more compact (although digital SLRs are a bit chunkier than 35mm film cameras). What if I picked up a Nikon film body to use the FX lenses in my growing collection?

So, after speaking with a good friend and colleague who also happens to be a Nikonian, I learned that he is selling off some of his equipment. This includes a Nikon N80 body, complete with battery grip. After some quick research, I learn that this body would be a fine complement to my D90. So today, for the price of a top-shelf circular polarizer, I have my first Nikon 35mm SLR. And he has some spending money.
Officially my first Nikon SLR, the N80


Can’t use it yet of course, can’t even “freelens” with one of my old Canon lenses. If I held the Canon lens in place in front of the N80, I wouldn’t see anything because It’s not easy to adjust the apeture on Canon FD lenses, even thought it is mechanical. But I can read the manual cover to cover, put some batteries in it, and trip the shutter, which is what I do.

So, I finally have a Nikon SLR, just not a digital one. Everything happens for a reason.


No comments:

Post a Comment