Wednesday, July 10, 2013

First Impressions: Kodak Signet 35

1950’s Kodak Signet 35 Rangefinder
I finally got around to shooting with this flea market find from last summer. Perhaps it was overshadowed by the Konica IIIA I purchased from the consignment shop in Wiscasset, which I gave first dibs. Pershaps it was because I knew it was in working order. Whatever the reason, the veil of mystery was lifted this past weekend.

Another gem by designer Arthur Crapsey, this art-deco styled rangefinder is compact, easy-to-use and virtually indestructible. The body is made from machined cast aluminum, and it features all the amenities any serious photographer could want. With only four speeds (1/25 s, 1/50 s, 1/100 s and 1/300 s) the shutter may seem limited, but it has proved most reliable over the years.

On my way back from visiting a friend in Fort Lee, I stopped at the Erika and Doug Boyd Sculpture Garden in Leonia. Loaded with expired Kodak 200 film and metering with my iPhone using the MyLightmeter Pro app, every picture was perfectly exposed, from 1/25s to 1/300s. 

Afterwards, I retook most of the photos with my iPhone for comparison. See for yourself…

Kodak Signet 35
Apple iPhone 4S
The film scanned in at 6MP, the iPhone is of course 8MP, so they’re quite comparable. Personally, I like the film a little better. 

Fifty-seven years old, and still going strong. 


No comments:

Post a Comment