Sunday, February 17, 2013

Panoramas on the iPhone 4s, IOS6

Panorama Captured with the IOS6 iPhone 4s native camera app.
1/470 s @ f/2.4, ISO 200

Until now, I’ve been using Microsoft’s Photosynth app for panoramic capture on the iPhone 4s. This morning I had the opportunity to put Apple’s IOS6-native version to the test, which is built right into the main camera app. Without using a tripod, and without taking too much care, the results are flawless. I cannot see a single seam in the stitching.

It was early morning, and the lighting was not the best. Because of a slight misalignment of the sensor, I had to tilt the camera slightly to the right as I panned. Unlike Photosynth, it did not “snap” a photo each time the leading end of one frame aligned with the trailing end of the previous; it was just one continuous scan, which produced a 10,800 x 2442 pixel image of 26.5MP in size.

With my Nikon D90 in tow, I attempted to produce the same results through a series of overlapping exposures later stitched together in Photoshop using Photomerge.

Huge disappointment, and not even worth showing. The stitching failed miserably. At best, it was a starting point for some further serious retouching. There will be much experimentation ahead to get Photomerge to work, and perhaps it will never be as good as the iPhone 4s. But at this point my conclusion would be that cameras that handle this processing internally rather than through post-processing individual exposures is the way to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment