Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Entry-Level DSLRs Rock!

I’m becoming a big fan of those entry-level SLRs. They’re light and small, and so far beyond the quality of the compacts that they’re really relavent. They may not be as thin as a rangefinder, but when the only option is the $10,000.00 Leica M9, they start to get pretty attractive.

I was doing a little research for an old high school friend, and I came across the Pentax K-r. I could see myself getting this body just to use it with the excellent 21mm f/3.2 pancake lens as a street camera. Just the one lens. That’s it. Maybe I'd epoxy it to the body just to prevent me from buying another lens. Just kidding.

Seriously, the camera and lens are only about 3.4" deep, compared to my D90 with the AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 which is about 4.3x" deep. That’s a pretty big difference. Part of the reason is the shorter flange focal distance.  

Times Square, New York is like a melting pot of digital cameras. Many of the DSLRs I see there entry-level models.


No comments:

Post a Comment