Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Holga, The Lomography “System” Camera

Here’s my growing Holga outfit so far...
Clockwise from center: Holga 120FN, 6x4.5cm mask, 6x6cm mask, 35mm mask,
35mm back, filter adapter, cable release adapter, 46-52mm step-up ring
Being the camera geek that I am, I couldn’t resist putting together a system for the Holga, just as I did for the Nikon Coolpix P5100. With this setup, I can shoot two different formats of 120 film, and two different formats of 35mm film.

Not pictured here is the additional 6x6cm mask that I plan on modifying to create a 35mm panoramic sprocket hole adapter. I figure, if I’m going to load this thing with 35mm film, it should be to achieve a unique effect. Otherwise, I could just use my newly acquired Lavec LT-002.

The 46-52mm step-up ring is a handy way to add filters to the Holga. Although there are no filter threads per se on the Holga, the rim around the periphery of the lens is just the right size to allow a 46mm filter to be threaded on. You simply line up the filter as evenly as possible, apply a little pressure, and rotate about one-eighth of a turn. The filter will be firmly attached. Don’t try to thread it on all the way however, as this will likely break the rim off the lens. Over time, the rim will wear and you’ll be able to thread it on a little deeper, so the connection will just get better and better.

Taking this one step further, the 46-52mm step-up ring will allow me to use all my existing 52mm and 67mm filters, not to mention my Cokin filters.

One solid reason for the ability to use filters with the Holga is to employ neutral density filters. This way, you can load the camera with fast film for low-light situations, and use the neutral density filter to control exposure under brighter conditions.

The Holga filter adapter is a handy way to not only use the available Holga filters, but to make your own, which is one of the things that originally drew me to the Cokin filter system. Find some clear film from product packaging, trim it to a rectangle 1-15/16" x 2-1/4", and voilà! Instant filter base. Scratch it, sand it, mask out the center, color it with marker, anything you want.

I’m also considering the Holga .5x wide-angle converter lens. Although 60mm is nice and wide for 120 film, and should work well with the 35mm panoramic format, it’s a bit long for the straight 35mm adapter. I don’t know though; it’s going to set me back a whole $14.95.


You can learn more about modifying your Holga at Holgamods.

No comments:

Post a Comment