Friday, May 7, 2010

Filters, and the final Chapter of the UV Saga

My Hoya Pro1 Digital MC UV(0) filters arrived today. Thankfully, they passed the blacklight test, and their response is identical to the standard Hoya UV(0) filter formula, which is to say they actually work.

They’re very well made; nice and thin, have filter threads on the front (a requirement for me), a knurled edge, and a unique, teal-colored coating. This must be due to the “Digital” version of their multi-coating. The usual color for a multi-coated filter is green and for a single-coated filter, a pale blue-violet.

So, finally, I have lens protection for all my current lenses that will also enhance my photos.

I also now have a 67mm Hoya three-position lens hood, which I can use on smaller lenses that I’ve stepped up to 67mm (just in case the bayonet hood doesn’t fit), or for lenses like my Voigtländer Ultron 40mm that don’t accept bayonet hoods.

To be honest, I might find myself using this hood for more than just a solution to the step-up issue. It’s the first really practical, really well-made hood I’ve seen in years. It adjusts for several focal lengths by folding in three different positions, and it works really well. It’s made of heavy rubber, with plenty of glare-diffusing ribs on the inside, and a metal mounting ring. The only down side (and it’s a minor one at that) is that it doesn’t have front filter threads. This would be OK, as I would never mount a filter to the front of a hood, except that it also means I can’t put the lens cap back on. But then, that’s kind of what the UV/Protection filter is for.

So, my filter “system” to date is as follows:
  • 67mm (for lenses with 67mm and smaller filter threads)

  • Nikon Circular Polarizer II (multi-coated)

  • Hoya Pro1 Digital UV(0) (multi-coated)

  • Tiffen Haze 2A (uncoated)

  • Hoya R72 Infrared (single-coated)

  • Hoya Didymium Intensifier (single-coated)

  • B+W Orange 041 (single-coated)

  • Hoya Screw-In Rubber Zoom Lens Hood

  • Fotodiox 52 to 67mm Step-up Ring

  • Fotodiox 58 to 67mm Step-up Ring

(Each of these filters produces an optical effect that either cannot be achieved in post-processing, or cannot easily be achieved. The actual intention of the B+W Orange 041 is to simulate “redscale” film photography in the digital medium. For black and white photography, I’ll probably use the digital in-camera filters for monochrome capture, or post-processing for color capture.)

52mm (for lenses with 52mm or smaller filter threads):
  • Hoya Pro1 Digital UV(0) (multi-coated)

  • Hoya R72 Infrared (single-coated)

  • Generic 46 to 52mm Step-up Ring (for P5100)

  • Nikon UR-7 28 to 46mm Step-up Ring (for P5100)

(I also have several “legacy” filters which I’ll hang onto for now, but will most likely replace them with their 67mm equivalent in the near future if I need to. These include, in order of usefulness, a “Pro” 81A (uncoated), Tiffen Sky (1A) (uncoated), “Optical Filter” Skylight (1A) (uncoated), Hoya Skylight (1B) (single-coated), and ProMaster Circular Polarizer (uncoated). All of these filters are inferior to their 67mm counterparts.)

Cokin P Series (for lenses with 67mm and smaller filter threads):
  • P152 ND2 Neutral Density

  • P153 ND4 Neutral Density

  • P003 Deep Red

  • P Series Filter Holder

  • A Series Filter Adapter

  • 72mm Adapter Ring

  • 67mm Adapter Ring

  • 52mm Adapter Ring

  • 2 Modular Hood Sections

  • Lens Cap

Cokin A Series (for lenses with 58mm and smaller filter threads):
  • A002 Orange

  • B056 8-point Star

  • A185 Radial Zoom

  • A830 Diffuser 1

  • A151 Graduated Fog

  • A121 Graduated Neutral Density

  • A216 Speed

  • A Series Filter Holder

  • A Series “Shoe” type Filter Holder (see below)

  • 58mm Adapter Ring

  • 52mm Adapter Ring

  • 1 Standard Hood

  • Lens Cap

I’m still a big fan of Cokin filters, but feel they’re best used only for certain effects. When I was a teenager and relatively new to filters, my plan was to go all Cokin, and buy only one filter for all my lenses. But I’ve since moved beyond the limited quality of resin filters. My current plan is to only buy P Series filters that make sense in the square format, which include:
  • Graduated neutral density

  • Varicolor polarizer series

  • Diffusers and soft focus

  • Prismatic and other special effects

The A Series filters will be largely dedicated to the Nikon P5100. Many of them were recently purchased to achieve effects similar to those of a DSLR.

Incidentally, I use the Cokin “Shoe” type filter holder along with the standard A-hood as an LCD shade for my P5100. (The standard, one-piece hood is no longer available from Cokin, but two of the newer “modular” hoods stacked together can be used in its place.) It also works great with the D90 if I’m shooting in Live View mode (such as when capturing video or doing studio or “Lensbaby” work.) I put it on the camera backwards, attach the hood, and I’m good to go. It fits each camera equally well, and cost me a whole five bucks.



No comments:

Post a Comment